SJS RC&S Inside-Out Partnership with MFCI
Federal Bureau of Prisons Inside-Out Course- Manchester FCI
EKU RC&S Criminal Justice program has partnered with the Manchester Federal Correctional Institution (MFCI) (https://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/man/) to offer a very unique opportunity for students. Approved students will be taken into the Manchester FCI for class and will be learning alongside students who are residents of MFCI.
The Inside-Out Prison Exchange Program (http://www.insideoutcenter.org/) is an educational program with an innovative pedagogical approach tailored to effectively facilitate dialogue across difference. It originated as a means of bringing together campus-based college students with incarcerated students for a semester-long course held in a prison, jail or other correctional setting. Students will be in class in a 1:1 ratio with inside students.Open dialogue in a correctional setting with inside students will be required.
Benefits to you as a student will include:
· The experience that you receive having access to a federal institution including interactions, networking, and comprehending needs of those incarcerated
· Credit towards a 400 level university elective to aid in fulfilling your graduation requirements.
· Greatly improved knowledge of re-entry programs,
· Increased and improved reference options available to you for application to future opportunities.
· Open dialect and increased self-awareness empowering you in many different ways including those that you may have never known existed.
This course is being offered as CRJ 423: Special Topics. Even if you have previously had CRJ 423, Mr. K may be able to utilize the course for a graduation requirement.
This is a federal program in partnership with EKU. Students must apply for acceptance into the course by completing the prequalification application located on the www.cjregional.eku.edu website. This course will require a background check and multiple visits inside a federal correctional institution. Anyone with a felony record or outstanding warrants from any state will not qualify for the course and should not apply.
Students must complete an in-person interview with Mr. Lawson at the Manchester Regional Campus prior to approval. Once completing the application form in totality and submitting, applicants must email Mr. Lawson (firstname.lastname@example.org) immediately to set up this interview. Students are not to contact anyone at the MFCI or the Inside Out Exchange Program. Questions should be directed to Mr. Lawson.